Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hello from Anchorage

Hello everyone,

as promised, I will try and keep this blog going during my two and a half weeks of field work. This summer, I am over in Alaska. I flew into Anchorage on the 20th, and have spent the last day and a half getting acclimated, and packing up all of our stuff. We fly out this afternoon to a small island known as Adak, check out the link from Wikipedia to learn more. Briefly, it is an old military base that is now government property being cleaned up. There are some great lakes that hold potential for reconstructing climate over the last 8,000 years. We are way out on the Aleutian Islands (the ring of volcanic islands that trail out into the middle of the Pacific, Adak is about 1,000 miles SW of Anchorage. Two flights a week fly there, and we get on one of them today. We will have a week there, and likely no internet access or cell phone service. Though if I do get access to either I will be sure to do my best and update the blog, hopefully with a nice picture or two.

I can't wait for another summer of field work. It will not be light 24 hours a day like Svalbard was, but here in Anchorage, it never gets very dark at night despite the sun going down for 3 or 4 hours a night. The weather promises to be in the 50s, but with a good chance of rain. Keep watching for stories of our adventures out in the field!


Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment